Julius Caesar Funeral Speech Essay Assignment
Brutus and Antony both use different rhetorical techniques to persuade the crowd at Caesar’s funeral. Arguments can be made for each man as to who was the most persuasive. Your assignment is to write a comparative essay analyzing the use of ethos, pathos and logos in Brutus and Antony’s funeral speeches.
- Introduction paragraph with a clear thesis statement
- (By examining x, y, and z, it is clear that _________.)
- Your thesis statement should clearly state who you think is the more persuasive speaker
- After comparing both men’s use of ethos, pathos, and logos, it is clear to the crowd the Brutus is the more persuasive speaker.
- Antony’s use of ethos was ultimately what won the crowd over and proved him more persuasive.
- Minimum of 3 body paragraphs. Logically, each paragraph will be about a different persuasive technique.
- Paragraph 1 – ethos
- Paragraph 2 – pathos
- Paragraph 3 – logos
- Topic sentences should be at the beginning of each paragraph; consider explaining what each rhetorical strategy is or you could start with which speaker used it best (just suggestions)
- In the conclusion, you would analyze who is the more persuasive speaker overall.
- Essays must use direct quotations from the play as support
- Essays should be around 2 pages typed, double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font
Quotation Citation Requirements
- Use I.C.E. to properly incorporate quotations into your essay
- You must INTRODUCE your quote with your own words
- You must CITE your quote using parenthetical citations
- You must EXPLAIN your quote in your own words (Why is it important? What should I get from this quote? – make it obvious to the reader)
For reference: You will find Brutus’s speech on page 42 in your book; Antony’s speech begins on page 44-46.