EXTRA CREDIT: Freak the Mighty
This is the one (and only) extra credit opportunity for the first 9 weeks. Please read the directions carefully and ask questions BEFORE the assignment is due if you choose to do it. The assignment is worth UP TO 10 points; assignments that don't meet all of the requirements may still receive some points.
THIS EXTRA CREDIT IS DUE
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 19.
- must be typed
- 12-point, Times New Roman font
- upload to your MyBigCampus page
- Minimum of 2 paragraphs; maximum 3 paragraphs
- Approximately 3/4-1 full page typed
- must be typed
- You must include at least 1 quote in each paragraph in addition to other details/evidence
- Your responses should follow the "I.C.E." method discussed in class (introduce your quote, cite your quote, explain your quote in your own words --> how does the quote/example support your answer?)
- 10 points maximum extra credit points
Choose ONE of the following essays and answer all parts of the prompt completely.
- Max has a very negative self-image and is constantly insulting himself. Why is Max convinced he doesn’t have a brain? Is his assessment of himself as a “butthead” correct? Do our opinions of ourselves affect what others think of us? Do other’s opinions of us affect how we feel about ourselves? (think about how the last 2 questions relate to the book, not just your own opinion)
- In the novel, the author is challenging the reader’s idea of what defines strength. So often in this story Max rescues Freak, but there are also several instances when it is Freak who rescues Max. Which of these two characters is strongest? Why do you believe this? What is the author revealing about his ideas regarding what strength is?