A Raisin in the Sun — Journals
Click here to download the PDF of the assignment to print. All journal topics are pasted below.
1. (DUE Tuesday, April 1) What is the “American Dream”? Does it exist, or is it a fantasy? Define the idea of a dream (the word sometimes loses its meaning because we say it so often). What is your greatest dream, and do you think it’s attainable? Why or why not? What does this play reveal about having dreams?
2. Describe a time you didn’t get something you wanted more than anything else. What happened/ Did you keep trying? Does it still bother you? What character isn’t getting something he/she wants, and what does it do to him/her to not get it? Can you relate, or are your circumstances completely different?
3. What’s more important: our families or our individual desires? How do you know? Explain what in your life has led you to believe this. What does this play say about individual desires and families? How do you know?
4. What does it mean to assimilate? Who worries about assimilation in this novel? Do you think the play shows it as a strength or weakness? Do you see people assimilating around you? How do people assimilate, and why do they do it? Do you?
5. Is there anyone you know who gave up his or her dream? Do you think it’s ok to give up at some point and accept what life gives you? In reality, do most people keep pursuing or give up their dreams? What do you think of this? What are the most valid reasons for giving up something you deeply desire in your opinion or in the play?
6. Why would it have been wrong for Walter to take Lindner’s money in his family’s eyes?